Letters to Lorelai: Letter #1

Posted by Brittney Murray | Posted in , , , , | Posted on 7:20 PM


Dear Lorelai,

I hope you laugh as easily when you're my age (28) as you do now. It's easy in this life to focus on the things that are going wrong in your life, but you have to fight against that. Don't let anything or anyone steal your joy, because they will try. This world is filled with people who are so unhappy and so hurt, that they want to hurt others to make themselves feel bigger and better. I pray you're able to meet that person's anger with love and that it comes easy to you. I wish it were easier for me, but I'm still breathing, so I know I'm a work-in-progress. I pray you never look back on your past with regret, but if you ever do, remember that there's no mess too big for Jesus to stop loving you. I never truly understood that until you were born. I continually held onto the guilt of past sins (and sometimes I still do) because I thought that God would be an angry, bitter God who would thwap me over the head if I so much as got a little messy.

You love spaghetti. I would imagine by the time you're old enough to read these posts that you'll still love spaghetti, but I'm willing to bet that you'll get leaps and bounds less messy while eating it than you do now. When I see how messy you are and you give me that dimpled, greasy, pasta sauce covered smile, I'm not angry with you for getting messy. Would I rather you not get messy? Absolutely, but I never mind taking a soapy rag and washing that pasta sauce from your face and hands. You hate having your face cleaned, but even amidst the unpleasant cleaning process, I continue to lovingly wipe you down until you're no longer messy. That's how God sees us, baby girl. He is our Father and when we're covered in the mess we've made, He lovingly wipes everything away.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment