Getting Rid of "Negative Nancy"

Posted by Brittney Murray | Posted in , , | Posted on 7:27 AM

Have you ever read an article, or perhaps heard something that made you so angry that you HAD to write a response to it? Guess what? The person whose perspective you were debunking didn't care. I've gotten to the point in my life where I have a zero tolerance for negativity. I'm a recovering "Negative Nancy" and I refuse to slip back into those patterns when I know it does me absolutely no good to see the bad in every situation (even good ones). 

The Bible tells us in Philippians 4:8 NIV, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." If someone wrote an article or said something that I disagree with, then I simply disagree and move on. It does me no good as a follower of Christ to entertain negative thoughts about a person's opinion and I refuse to give more exposure to that person's opinion by talking about it. Now, I understand that everyone needs to vent and I definitely have times where I need to just get everything out about something and move on. My husband knows this and thankfully provides an environment where I feel comfortable enough to vent. I try my best to look at everything I'm about to post to social media (Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc) through the lens of Philippians 4:8. 

If it isn't true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable—or excellent or praiseworthy. It's not posted about. Granted, everyone vents, but if you habitually focus on the negative things in your life, then I encourage you as a brother or sister in Christ to be weird and not conform to society. Christ said in Matthew 5:14a, "You are the light of the world." This world has enough darkness in it without me adding to that by slipping into negative patterns, plus, I am called to reach the very people who may anger me with their opinions. I don't know about you, but for me, that puts A LOT into perspective. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment